Queens Cool Uncovered
By now, most people have heard about Brooklyn hip. Well, let BQE Tours introduce you to Queens cool! Queens holds many treasures, if you know where to look (and, yes, we do indeed know just where that is!). Just across the river from Midtown Manhattan lies Long Island City, a rapidly changing neighborhood of massive new apartment towers and budding cultural centers, set amidst the bones of NYC’s industrial past.
Only a subway stop from Manhattan, L.I.C. feels a world away from the chaos of “the city” just across the river. Be guided through the thriving arts scene of this flourishing neighborhood, with a walk that reveals its many layers of history and culture. Stop in for visits and tastings at exciting artist studios and galleries, popular eateries, a unique microbrewery, and a rooftop lounge with unforgettable views (weather dependent).
We also explore industrial sections of the neighborhood that have yet to undergo transformation. A visit to Long Island City, after all, is essential in understanding the industrial history of New York City. On our “Queens Cool Uncovered” tour, we show you the grit, the grime, and the glorious.
The tour also incorporates several spectacular and unique vantage point of Manhattan’s canyons of skyscrapers, laid out in its famous grid line design, with stunning vistas of the Empire State, Chrysler, and United Nations buildings. You’ve never seen NYC quite like this . . . from Queens!
- Sweeping views of Midtown Manhattan from the East River; neighborhood exploration; and commentary on Long Island City, its history, arts scene, DIY (do-it-yourself) manufacturing movement, breweries, and relevance in the big picture of Queens and NYC at large
- Dedicated services of a licensed, native NYC guide and small group settings (12 people maximum per tour)
- Access to an artist’s studio and gallery
- Visits with local “makers” and standout neighborhood establishments, including the seasonal LIC Flea & Food
- Stop for complimentary beer tasting
- A light bite from a select local vendors and a visit to a rooftop lounge (weather dependent)
- Tour Length: Approximately 3 hours (covering 1.5 to 2 miles)
- Tour Schedule: See our tour calendar for scheduled outings.
- Meeting Point: Only one subway stop from Manhattan, in Long Island City. Directions and exact meeting location will be provided by e-mail following ticket purchase.
- FAQ: See answers to Frequently Asked Questions.
- Cost: $55/person; advanced purchase required. Ticket prices include all cited tastings, beverages, and establishment visits. However, it’s a good idea to have some extra cash handy, in case you’re interested in purchasing any artwork or other artisanal products that you may come across on the tour. Note that food and drink inclusions are meant to serve as tastings, and are not intended to replace a full meal.
WHAT TO EXPECT
With just 12 participants max, our tours ensure an intimate, highly personalized experience, and easy rapport between guide and guests.
You'll meet all sorts of locals, both spontaneously and by design—interact and engage with neighborhood artists, artisans, and entrepreneurs.
Food and Drink
Food and Drink
Brooklyn and Queens offer particular culinary delights, with artisanal fare and quality libations—you'll sample several satisfying selections of signature food and drink.
This isn't your average point-and-talk tour! Mingle with artists in their studios, meet local "makers," discover neighborhood haunts far removed from the guidebooks, and much more.
Beyond the requisite facts and headlines, our guide shares engaging stories, reflecting on personal connections to local streets and communities, and recounting curated tales of only-in-NYC characters and events.
Be led through Brooklyn and Queens by a native guide offering unique local perspective and insight, as a lifelong witness to the city's rapidly changing face.