The Hipster Safari
“The Hipster Safari” walking experience focuses on the strange and fascinating life of the creature known as the “hipster,” while exploring their main habitat of Williamsburg, a trendy enclave that is considered the epicenter and pioneering point of Brooklyn hip. Together, we’ll explore popular hangouts, art studios/galleries, music venues, street murals, cool shops, and more, with an opportunity to sample local culinary treats and either a locally brewed beer or glass of wine. There will be unique opportunities for “safari”-goers to interact with local hipsters, but be warned: we can’t guarantee they won’t bite!
All joking aside, this is a fun yet informative tour aimed to help you understand the past, present, and future of this fascinating neighborhood. Long before the arrival of the mustached and flannel-wearing transplants that call Williamsburg home today, these streets historically teemed with a rich immigrant experience, filled with wartime industry, manufacturing, and beer, lots of beer. The alleyways and blocks of Williamsburg have served as stomping grounds for the likes of famous writers (like Betty Smith, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn; and Henry Miller, Tropic of Capricorn), performers (Barbra Streisand, Barry Manilow, Gene Simmons), notorious gangsters (“Bugsy” Siegel), and more. We’ll guide you through the multilayered history and the overwhelmingly hip contemporary scene, on an entertaining and engaging adventure!
- Unique waterfront views; street art; neighborhood exploration; and commentary on Williamsburg, its history, culture (particularly its thriving art, music, and food scene), DIY (do-it-yourself) manufacturing movement, and relevance in the big picture of Brooklyn and NYC at large
- Dedicated services of a licensed, native NYC guide and small group settings (12 people maximum per tour)
- Access to an artist’s studio and gallery
- Visits to a “maker’s” workshop/showroom, and other standout neighborhood establishments
- Stop for complimentary glass of wine/beer
- Choice of hot beverage at a cool coffeehouse
- Samplings of sweets or light bites from select local vendors
- Tour Length: Approximately 3 hours
- Tour Schedule: See our tour calendar for scheduled outings.
- Meeting Point: Only one subway stop from Manhattan, in Williamsburg. Directions and exact meeting location will be provided by e-mail following ticket purchase.
- FAQ: See answers to Frequently Asked Questions.
- Cost: $55/person; advanced purchase required. Ticket prices include all cited tastings, beverages, and establishment visits. However, it’s a good idea to have some extra cash handy, in case you’re interested in purchasing any artwork or other artisanal products that you may come across on the tour. Note that food and drink inclusions are meant to serve as tastings, and are not intended to replace a full meal.